Friday 24 August 2012

Knitting, part two


I've knitted my first sock, yay!

Unfortunately, it's way too small at the top, I was kind of expecting this as I tend to knit rather tightly, but since it's been some time since I last knitted I figured I could use the practice anyway. I'll redo it with bigger knitting needles, and I'll really try to knit more loosely in the future.

This is what the finished product will look like, barring any major messups:


The pattern comes from the book Classic Knits by Erika Knight. It's been sitting in my bookshelf for years because I'm a huge procrastinator, but one day when I really felt like knitting I discovered I had just the yarn for these socks at home.


Unfortunately, someone else had discovered it too! Hopefully only a few strands on the outside are like this, I haven't examined it very closely yet. There are a few more balls of this in the cellar that I need to dig up some day soon.

I like Classic Knits, I've never followed an English knitting pattern before but the sock pattern was very straightforward and easy to understand. All the pictures are gorgeous, though there are some things I would never make for myself (the chunky sweater that the model is wearing in the picture up above for example, it looks really cosy but I'm not sure I'd actually use it). It's okay that there are a couple of patterns like that in the book though, because I think I paid a total of £5 for it.

Today I found a darling little shop on Etsy that sells the most wonderful knitting patterns, stay tuned for a post on that tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment